Communication and Language
Aspects of communication and language includes; listening and attention, understanding and speaking.
Communication and language is a core strand running through every activity and aspect of school life. Children develop skills to;
- listen attentively in a range of situations and respond to what they hear with relevant comments, questions or actions;
- give their attention to what others say and respond appropriately;
- follow instructions involving several ideas or actions;
- answer ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions about their experiences and in response to stories or events;
- express themselves effectively, showing awareness of listeners’ needs;
- use past, present and future forms accurately when talking about events that have happened or are to happen in the future;
- develop their own narratives and explanations by connecting ideas or events.