Aspects of literacy includes; reading and writing.
During regular adult-led literacy sessions, children work in small groups and as a whole class. Continuous provision for enhanced learning is accessible during child-initiated sessions.
Both adult led activities and continuous provision enable children to develop skills to begin to;
- read and understand simple sentences by using phonic knowledge to decode regular words, and read irregular words by sight;
- understand and talk about what they have read;
- use their phonic knowledge to write words;
- write some irregular common words;
- write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others.