Aspects of mathematics includes; numbers and shape, space and measure.
During regular adult-led mathematics sessions, children work in small groups and as a whole class. Practical sessions provide opportunities for active learning. Provision for enhanced learning is accessible during child-initiated sessions.
Adult led activities, practical sessions and continuous provision enable children to develop skills to begin to;
- count reliably with numbers from one to 20, place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number.;
- using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer;
- solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing;
- use everyday language to talk about size, weight, capacity, position, distance, time and money to compare quantities and objects and to solve problems;
- recognise, create and describe patterns;
- explore characteristics of everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language to describe them.